Thursday, June 19, 2008

Mixology Monday: The Miss May No More

I know that it's not Monday, but I wanted to contribute a bourbon based drink to the blogosphere, especially seeing all the work that others had put into it. This drink is special to me because I created it as a wedding gift for a friend, hence the name. It's largely a variation on my favorite classic cocktail, The Old Fashioned.

The Miss May No More:

1 1/2 bourbon (Elijah Craig 12 year if available)
1/2 oz. Cherry Heering
1 or 2 dashes of Angostura bitters

Build in rocks glass with ice. Stir. Enjoy.

This drink works very well as an intermediary to The Old Fashioned for those who "don't like strong drinks". The bourbon obviously serves in a prominent role, but the sweetness of the bourbon is brought out (and contributed to significantly) by the Heering. The Heering also brings an amount of complexity to the table, so there's no need to go crazy on the bitters.

I'm eager to try some other cherry liqueurs to see how they hold up. I've got my eye on some Luxardo.

No comments: